During the month of December, we take up the Lottie Moon offering for the IMB. This offering goes to supporting oversees missionaries in spreading the Gospel all over the world. During the month of March, we take up what is known as the Annie Armstrong Offering. This offering gets much less attention from Southern Baptists because we have this false idea that our country is predominately Christian. Allow me to share a few numbers from a study done in 2008:
- 70 percent of all Americans believe that many religions can lead to eternal life.
- 56 percent of all Evangelical Christians believe that there are many paths, other than faith in Christ, to God and eternal life.
- Even among the 30 percent of Americans who say that eternal life depends on one’s belief, nearly half designate belief in God, a higher power or other generic beliefs as sufficient for salvation.
- Among Evangelical Christians, only 45 percent clearly affirm that a personal belief in, or relationship with, Christ is essential for eternal life.
- Among all Americans affiliated with a religion, 52 percent believe that Islam leads to eternal life with God, 53 percent believe that Hinduism leads to God and 42 percent even believe that atheism leads to God.
- Among Evangelicals, the numbers are 35, 33 and 26 percent respectively.
I found these statistics from an online article, and this quote from that article stood out to me: “Clearly in recent years, in the midst of growing cultural and religious pluralism, large numbers of Christians are troubled by, or ignore, the claim of Jesus, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me’ (Jn. 14:6).”
Many who claim a relationship with Jesus have no clue what that actually means. We cannot ignore our neighbors. One of my calls from the pulpit has been for us to plant seeds of the Gospel in every way we can. Here is a beautiful opportunity for you to plant seeds by giving generously that more might hear the Gospel. Won’t you consider giving $100 above and beyond your church tithes to the Annie Armstrong offering this month? There is only one way to God, and that is through his Son Jesus Christ. Won’t you give that one more may hear?